Sorry about the delay in posting. It’s been quite a day indeed.
But let me sum up the main speeches:
- Harry Reid…sad little man.
- Ted Strickland is so partisan it hurts. I guess because he’s no longer in office and lost to John Kasich still tickles his britches because he’s so blindly partisan, it annoys me.
- Gov. Martin O’Malley (MD)….for being a “2016 contender,” he sucked.
- Lilly Ledbetter…annoys me.
- Corey Booker…Senate candidate 2014, “Book” it. Haha.
- Mayor Julian Castro….compelling life story and an up-and-comer “Hispanic Obama.” But look, he isn’t going anywhere really. Big-city mayors in Texas have little appeal outside of their cities (Kirk 2002, White 2010, Leppert 2012). If he runs for Congress and parlays it t the Senate, perfect. If he runs for state rep/senator and parlays it to Governor, even better. He won’t be the first Hispanic governor of Texas…in order: (1) George P. Bush; (2) Rafael Anchia; (3) Leticia van de Putte. But he’s a great speaker who can deliver a punch with a smile. Rare talent.
- Michelle Obama: fantastic. She makes Barack Obama look really good, but that’s what wives do. Great story, really brought people to tears, and inspired many. But enough of the Michelle/Ann 2016 crap. Spouses don’t translate well after speeches (read: Elizabeth Dole, 1996 -> failed presidential run in 2000).
Oh BEST PART of the night: Castro’s daughter.