Sorry about the delay in posting. It’s been quite a day indeed.
But let me sum up the main speeches:
- Harry Reid…sad little man.
- Ted Strickland is so partisan it hurts. I guess because he’s no longer in office and lost to John Kasich still tickles his britches because he’s so blindly partisan, it annoys me.
- Gov. Martin O’Malley (MD)….for being a “2016 contender,” he sucked.
- Lilly Ledbetter…annoys me.
- Corey Booker…Senate candidate 2014, “Book” it. Haha.
- Mayor Julian Castro….compelling life story and an up-and-comer “Hispanic Obama.” But look, he isn’t going anywhere really. Big-city mayors in Texas have little appeal outside of their cities (Kirk 2002, White 2010, Leppert 2012). If he runs for Congress and parlays it t the Senate, perfect. If he runs for state rep/senator and parlays it to Governor, even better. He won’t be the first Hispanic governor of Texas…in order: (1) George P. Bush; (2) Rafael Anchia; (3) Leticia van de Putte. But he’s a great speaker who can deliver a punch with a smile. Rare talent.
- Michelle Obama: fantastic. She makes Barack Obama look really good, but that’s what wives do. Great story, really brought people to tears, and inspired many. But enough of the Michelle/Ann 2016 crap. Spouses don’t translate well after speeches (read: Elizabeth Dole, 1996 -> failed presidential run in 2000).
Oh BEST PART of the night: Castro’s daughter.
So with the Republican National Conference over and the Democratic National Convention starting, one only has to look at the speakers to see who the rising stars (“the benches”) are for each party. Let’s put them in a depth chart
- First String: VA Gov. Bob McDonnell; WI Gov. Scott Walker; SC Gov. Nikki Haley; NJ Gov. Chris Christie; LA Gov. Bobby Jindal; SD Sen. John Thune; Former Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice; WI Rep. Paul Ryan; FL Sen. Marco Rubio
- Second String: NH Sen. Kelly Ayotte; OK Gov. Mary Fallin; NV Gov. Brian Sandoval; KY Sen. Rand Paul; OH Sen. Rob Portman; PR Gov. Luis Fortuño; NM Gov. Susana Martinez; Former FL Gov. Jeb Bush; TX Sen. Ted Cruz
- Third String: ND Sen. John Hoeven; TN Rep. Marsha Blackburn; WA Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers; Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love; OH Gov. John Kasich; Former MN Gov. Tim Pawlenty
- First String: CO Gov. John Hickenlooper; Former VA Gov. Tim Kaine; MD Gov. Martin O’Malley; Secretary of State Hillary Clinton; MT Gov. Brian Schweitzer; MA Senate Candidate Elizabeth Warren
- Second String: Newark Mayor Corey Booker; San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro; Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel; Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx; NC Sen. Kay Hagan; Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter; Vice President Joe Biden; MN Senator Amy Klobuchar; Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Vilagarossa
- Third String: WI Senate Candidate Tammy Baldwin; House of Representatives Candidate Joaquin Castro; MA Gov. Deval Patrick; Former OH Gov. Ted Strickland; Houston Mayor Annisse Parker
Holy cow, it is September. Now I have to get used to writing that instead of August (as I originally typed in the heading)
Weekend Polls (with my interest tidbits)
- All tied up in NC per PPP, 48-48. Interesting notes: +7 in favorability for Romney since last poll; biggest winners from the GOP Convention were Condi Rice (62/25) and Ann Romney (54/26)…Rubio +17, Martinez +16, Christie +8, Ryan +4
- No bounce in Florida, per PPP, 48-47 Obama. Interesting notes: +5 in favorability for Romney since last poll; biggest winners from GOP Convention were Condi Rice (66/22) and Ann Romney (56/22)…Rubio +18, Martinez +19, Christie +9, Ryan +7 (lol Mediscare)
- Colorado narrowing, per PPP, 49-46 Obama. Interesting notes: +3 in favorability for Romney since last poll; biggest winners from GOP Convention were Condi Rice (65/22) and Ann Romney (50/31)…Rubio +18, Martinez +20, Christie +9, Ryan +5
- Michigan narrowing, per PPP, 51-44 Obama. Interesting notes: Romney is -4 in favorability in his “home state;” biggest winners from the GOP convention: Condi Rice (64/21) and Ann Romney (51/27)…Rubio +13, Martinez +18, Christie +6, Ryan +5
What I gather: the convention boosted Romney’s favorability in key states; Ryan is seen positively at this point; Ann Romney continues to be a boost for the campaign; and holy cow Condi Rice is LOVED
The Democratic National Convention starts tonight, with San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro as the keynote. I’ll be tuning it for that.